Tuesday

Banos

ECulture shock comes in waves of ups and downs.  Today, Zoe and Owen were stating that Ecuador was boring.  You might imagine that this reaction was a little shocking to Jay and I.  From our vantage point, they have been having a blast, so this exclamation was disappointing.    I turned to our friend google for some insight and wouldn't you have it, symptoms of culture shock are as follows:
-boredom
-irritability 
-thoughts of home
- critisizing the culture and how they do things. 

This fit Zoe and Owens profile. Last night Owen was critisizing how the tribe people built their houses, out if wood. He was saying that they could do a better job
By adding tiles (critisizing culture). There was more but it is suffice to say that culture shock is still lurking in our family. 

This morning I read to symptoms to the kids and Owen smiled as he saw himself in the description.  

There is so much learning to be done on a trip as this, and sometimes an overload for their young minds. I love them so much. The biggest asset to this trip so far is the strengthening of their friendship. Everyday, I see them bonding and getting closer and it makes my heart sing. 
------------------------------------------------


We are now in the beautiful valley of Banos.  The mountains loom over us and it's like getting a great, big, green mountain hug. I have to tell you, that I am loving the landscapea of this country. Everywhere you look, you see green beauty from trees, mountains, to multicoloured flowers and flowing water. Banos alone boasts over 60 waterfalls and a canyon with a river that runs through it. It's definitely eye candy and let's not forget that the people are so kind. 

Banos is a Mecca for adventure sports from zip lining, rappelling, bungee jumping, white water rafting and more, there is something for everyone.  Today, we went zip lining, through the canyon. It was Owen and I's first experience and so much fun.  Jay, Zoe and Tyler have all zip lined at Lafleche in the Gatineau hills. We got suited up with harnesses, clips, gloves and helmets.  I have to admit that I was a little nervous about letting my kids glide over a metal cable that hung hundreds of feet above ground.  All that said it was awesome!!!


We took lots of videos which I cannot upload to this blog, so that will just have to wait. I hope you are all doing fantastic. I see from Facebook that it's still winter over your way. Hang in there, spring is just around the corner, right?

No comments: