Saturday

Beyond Gluten Free


In September, I wrote a post in regards to some dietary changes.  The post revealed my addiction to  coffee.  I let go of coffee for a while, but must admit to returning to it for periods of time.  For example, while in Thailand Jay and I  discovered that Green Hut Bungalows made a smoken cappuccino, and I found myself in my old habits of a cup a day.  Now that I am back in Ottawa, I am back to drinking tea. I am finding this to be better for me and my system.

Another change that I have been trying to integrate in my life is a gluten free diet.  Now, I know some of you will say: "It's a fad", but for me it is more than a fad.  I have crohn's disease and these last few years, I have been having stomach issues like cramping, constipation, diarrhoea, lethargy, and joint pain.    The times that I have gone gluten free, I have noticed a remarkable difference in how I feel, and how the mentioned symptoms magically disappear.  Although, I know this is true, it has not always been easy to stay away from bread!  Especially, when I eat outside of the home.

Michele showing me how to make Gomasia

I have decided that it is time to make lasting dietary changes.  This change is difficult, and I have come to realize that it is one that I cannot do alone.  For this reason, I have turned to Michele Shubert and Beyond Gluten Free's 6 week program to help me gain leverage in my dietary needs.

Michele came over today, and raided my cupboard and we got rid of all that is processed, contains gluten, msg, sugars and more.  She gave me a manual with recipes, a shopping list,  and a goal for the first week of my program.   My first week's goal is to increase my daily vegetable intake, to make certain recipes, and not eat gluten, dairy, or starch.   Wow!  I am excited to begin.

There are more layers to the program, which I will share with you in the next few weeks.  I will also interview Michele to give you a little foundation of her philosophy, and her program.  For now you can check out her website here.


She also brought me a basket of goodness, which included seed porridge, 
and burdock root apple cider vinegar.  This little gift is an inspiration 
towards my new changes. 

Thanks Michele! 
I had a great afternoon, it was fun and I feel inspired!




No comments: